Monday, January 3, 2011

The Joys of Naptime

Before the last 3 months, naps were not anything that I really cared about or even thought twice about. Now that I have a 3 month old, nap time is my best friend. Earlier this afternoon, I did find myself falling asleep in the rocking chair with Hail while I was burping him. Then I realized, "I have to get up! I have an hour of nobody wanting my attention, nobody needing me for anything. I must do something!"

So, during the first nap, I cleaned the kitchen. Second nap, bathroom. When I first got pregnant, everyone told me that I should use nap time to nap as well. Fortunately, I have been blessed with a kid that sleeps 8 straight hours through the night and has since he was six weeks old.

Since I am a stay at home mom, many people feel that I don't do anything all day long because my house isn't SPOTLESS, I am often still in my jammies, and I look like I just woke up. This is the farthest from the truth. I have a job. I am a freelance writer which requires me to be on my computer a lot. Because I am also a teacher, parent, nurse, cook, entertainer and friend to my precious baby boy I have to get up before he does, stay awake after he goes to bed and work while he naps. This means that my day starts at 5:30 in the morning and ends around midnight, every night.

I would really love someone that feels I am so lazy to do my job. I am a very interactive parent. I sing, read, play, watch movies, dance with my son every moment that he is awake. So most of my day is go, go, go and I do it alone. How many people do you know that are given any sort of appreciation for that? Anyone that has ever met my son says that he is a very sweet boy. From the time he was born, I've worked with him on sounds, grasping things, memory and other things as well. Hail is full of smiles, happy sounds and very rarely ever cries. Why? Because he's a happy baby- he has no reason to cry. I know thousands of parents that cannot say the same about their kids, and many that even resent them because they were not happy babies.

I know that Hail is a momma's boy, and I know that it's entirely my fault. But at the same time, I feel that these long days and nights and undivided attention is worth it. That is the real joy of nap time.

1 comment:

Calissa Leigh said...

My mom always asks me, "When are you going to get a real job?" Apparently working from your house isn't really a real job. :)

Much sympathy! Sometimes those few moments of getting dressed in the morning can be a few moments of that next dollar to be made. :) And it's amazing how few clothes you have to wash when you don't have to wear normal clothes every day. :)

 

First Time Adventures Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice