Tuesday, February 28, 2012

50 Book Challenge- Book 6- The Help

I just finished reading The Help. It was a phenomenal book! I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in civil rights or stories of the south. It was a little hard to get through at times because many parts of the book are phonetically spelled. But the story was great. I also watched something on HBO that said that many of these events in the book were true events (not just the parts of civil rights events but stories from the maids.)

This was the story of what it was like being a black maid during the height of civil rights during the 1960s. These were stories of maids working with white families and the duties they performed, the lives they led and the overall feel of living in the south during these trying times. It also detailed the life of a white woman, Skeeter, who didn't see those lines of color. She was an outcast for many other reasons than wanting to associate with the help, like the fact that she was too tall, too skinny, not dating anyone, and that she lived a little too far out of town.

I loved this book, nearly as much as I loved the movie. I recommend this book to everyone. I think it carries a powerful message that everyone should not only know, but respect and strongly consider.

2 comments:

Sheltie Times said...

Sounds like a strong read that didn't get lost in the movie.

Penny said...

Thanks for the review! I have been wanting to read this book and see the movie!

I love that you are doing a book challenge. I will have to go back and read the reviews of the other books you have read so far.

 

First Time Adventures Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice